Tuesday 5 October 2010

Bit of a Catch Up

My days have been pretty full recently so I have been neglecting my wee blog, and never did get around to putting up the aforementioned EAL activities follow-up post. I will, perhaps after I get over my recent teaching slump and don't feel like such a hypocrite suggesting approaches to others. Let's get everyone up to date on the 'important' things in life; work, football, music, reading and the old social life.

My ex-girlfriend, Annie, was visiting Korea last weekend. It was the first time I had seen her since we broke up in Buenos Aires in 2008 so there was obviously some trepidation involved. Added to that was the fact that I'm now seeing someone else, and this visit was probably something she'd rather hadn't been happening. All the same, Annie was the same old Annie and it was fun having someone back amongst us who was a big part of our big crazy first year in Korea. Back then, everything was new, we went out far more than we do now, we did things we simply couldn't even consider these days (well, maybe Stephen still has it in him). It was a crazy weekend by recent standards in that we went out on both Friday and Saturday nights as well as having an FC Seoul game to go to on Sunday (with accompanying beers and galbi, of course). I was glad to find that Annie is doing well, that she's happy and that she had a good visit. I'm also glad that everyone I knew back in 2007 has moved on from the people we were back then. Otherwise, we might look like a certain bar-owner in Itaewon by now...

Work has been tough enough of late and, as I mentioned, I've had a few lessons recently that weren't exactly my best. In this job, it's important to get the balance right between keeping the lessons creative and interesting whilst covering the material that is necessary to allow the students to improve and be prepared for their TOEIC Speaking test. That involves constantly coming up with new ideas and approaches to covering, quite often, fairly dry topics. This week, I just haven't had things come together the way I'd like, although I may just be being too self-critical. I don't have night classes on Wednesday so I'm looking forward to a good full night of sleep so I can come at it from a new angle tomorrow. Amazingly, I only have three more classes with my DDE2 girls. Nearly there...

And now to the wonderful world of football... The new 'The Outside View' podcast is up and available here for an overview of the past weekend's K-League action. There was a great crowd in attendance for FC Seoul's 2-0 victory over Incheon United last Sunday. It was a line-up that I have been espousing of late (including all of Lee Seung Ryeol, Choi Tae Wook, Ha Dae Sung, Dejan and Djeparov) and followed a pattern we're becoming accustomed to seeing at home. Lee and Djeparov scored the goals (check out the Djeparov celebration - another reason I'd like to see him score more often) so we remain four points behind Jeju United with a game in hand. This weekend's home encounter against third-placed Gyeongnam is a must-win fixture if we hope to secure the top spot that puts us straight into the play-off finals (with the second leg being played at home). Derry City slipped up away against Wexford Youths to put their promotion hopes into further doubt, whilst Man Utd continue to stumble as Chelsea march forth. My hopes are all pinned on FC Seoul for football glory this season. Come on boys! I'm not forgetting Ireland. It'll be a late Friday night for me coming up with a home tie against Russia and then an away match against Slovakia next Tuesday. Hopefully I can find good online streams for both.

The band is still stuttering along whilst getting there slowly but surely. We had a bit of a communication breakdown with Cheon the Saturday before last, as three of us turned up for rehearsal but he hadn't heard anything about it, apparently. We got some work done but there's only so much you can do at 75% capacity (with me singing bass-lines - not recommended...). We have a monster four-hour session booked in for Saturday and we're hoping that'll put us in a position to play a low-key set at Woodstock (Itaewon) the following Friday night. I hope it comes together because some of the songs we're covering should go down really well, I think.

I started the dissertation section of my MA earlier this week so I won't have much time for 'fun reading' anymore. In saying that, I've been reading 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens and, although it's not in the same league as 'David Copperfield' I've been enjoying it and finding it interesting how it crosses over with some of the big debates in education. The MA is going to be tough this year, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Also, if I'm being honest, I now really want to go all out for the 'first'. I'm in a good position and I'd be left kicking myself if I let it slip at this stage. Still not 100% sure what topic I'll write about but I have a few decent ideas in mind...

Oh! You'll be glad to hear that THIS IS THE LAST I'LL EVER MENTION OF 'THE KNEE' ON THIS BLOG!!! Well, I hope so anyhow. I saw the doctor yesterday who gave me the all-clear. One more physio session tomorrow and then I just need to build the leg back up at the gym. There'll be some pain for a few months but, crucially, I won't need surgery. I'm glad that episode is over. Please let me not be speaking too soon! Now I'm looking forward to a few fun activities over the next few weeks; Seoul V Gyeongnam this weekend, boys trip away for the Ulsan match the week after, possibly a Placebo gig on Thursday 21st before the Korean Grand Prix that weekend (assuming the circuit is passed safe before then). I'll get the other EAL ideas up during the rest of the week and reply to comments when I have some spare time. Remainder of the day = General English (second of the day), Writing Lab, Language Exchange, class preparation for tomorrow, and a well-deserved early night.

PS

CATHERINE MC GUINNESS!!!

1 comment:

  1. "These chicks don't even know the name of my band
    But they're all over me like they wanna hold hands
    Cause once I blow they know that I'll be the man
    All because I'm the lead singer of my band"

    -Charles Dickens

    ReplyDelete