Wednesday 10 November 2010

How The Mighty Fall

In November 1910, people were on the streets of London protesting for Universal Suffrage, whilst Sun Ya-Sen was planning an uprising that would eventually lead to the Chinese Revolution in 1911. The United Kingdom was still one of the most powerful and influential countries in the world, whereas China were being over-powered and out-maneuvered by their Japanese neighbours. 100-years-on, yesterday, I listened to British Prime Minister, David Cameron, delivering a speech to students at the University of Peking, Beijing. As I listened, I felt as though I was witnessing a historic landmark in both countries' recent histories.

Prior to this speech, speculation was rife among political commentators regarding just how far Cameron would go in highlighting human rights issues in China, considering how his immense trade delegation were aware of how much more Britain needs China than the other way round in today's global economic climate. At the very beginning of the speech he talked of the freedom he experienced during his years as a student in Oxford (people who go to 'elite' universities never seem to pass up an opportunity to mention it), and expressed his hope that they, as students at the University of Peking, were doing the same now. At that point, I feared that this was his weak, watered-down allusion to human rights abuses and failures in China. I was wrong.

I'm not sure how things will go for Cameron in the medium to long-term, but I have to say that I am moderately impressed by him thus far. Whilst being careful not to openly offend his hosts, he did go as far as saying that the UK has, "deeply-held concerns" and cautioned that, "the best guarantor of prosperity and stability is for economic and political progress to go in step together." Reports suggest that he has also raised the imprisonment of Nobel Laureate Liu Xiaobo. He did all this while acknowledging Britains' drawbacks in a tactful way that appears to be based on an appreciation of mutual respect and differences. It could be argued that it's all fine and well treating others in this way now that you are the weak party, but I'm happy that he raised key issues rather than putting economic factors ahead of human rights abuses without going there and forcing 'western values' down their throats. There may be arguments that he could have gone further in one direction or the other. For my part, I was impressed. It seems that people have been talking about how China "would be the global superpower" for years now. All of a sudden, this scenario seems to have taken a big step closer to realisation in a relatively short space of time. Once upon a time the British Prime Minister ruled over a vast empire where the sun never set. Now a British PM is having to face the fact that he has to stay on the right side of a country he has great political differences with. Take note, USA.

Speaking of the USA, I notice that the American Humanist Association are going on a big publicity drive to educate Americans about what humanism is, and encourage them to question their own religious beliefs. As a non-believer in god, I would consider humanism to represent my views better than any religion I have come across in life so far. In simple terms, humanists aim for an open and secular society based on respect for Universal Human Rights and global-interconnectedness. If you're interested, the British Humanist Association have a very accessible and informative website. Whilst I'm glad to see the debate being opened up, I was a bit disappointed with some of the biblical quotes they chose to compare with quotes about humanism. For example, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” I Timothy 2 (New International Version) Humanism: “The rights of men and women should be equal and sacred—marriage should be a perfect partnership.” Robert G. Ingersoll, in a letter dated April 13, 1878." I get the feeling that examples like this are very polarising, and won't attract the attention of moderates who are probably the main target of this campaign. Still, I'm sure the advertising experts working on this have a better grasp of the issues than I do.

Back in the real world, I had better get some study done so that I can do a good chunk of preparation before my classes beginning at 6:40pm. I have been a bit of a "negative Nancy" (McGuinness, 2010) this week, so I need to grab the bull by the horns and make sure my classes are well-prepared but that I don't expect the sun, moon and stars. Unbelievably, it's already Thursday so only a couple more days until our next gig at Club FF, in Hongdae. We had a really good facebook response and turnout for our RMT gig last week. However, the listed attendees for the FF gig are currently: yours truly; Catherine (who I think actually isn't coming); Eddie (The FF owner), and Anna (who lives in Australia). No drummer, no bassist, no girlfriend? You have to laugh. There are quite a few 'maybes' but FF always has a good crowd of it's own so I'm not worrying. We'll be playing after The Koxx (wonderfully-named and energetic Korean band) and Angry Bear (check them out on myspace - lovely stuff), so there should be a good crowd and atmosphere. I'm looking forward to belting out ten cracking rock songs and, of course, taking full advantage of the 11-12 free 'cocktail' hour. Come along! We're playing at Woodstock the following weekend and I'm setting up December and January dates as we speak so don't think the pestering is going to stop anytime soon. Hope the day is treating you all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment