Wednesday 8 June 2011

What's Going On?

Well it has been a while since I posted so here goes with a bit of a digest of the last few weeks. Jim has hit the road. His last gig at RMT got the turn-out he deserves (err, it was big, just to clarify...) and we had a Sunday down in Seongnam watching FC Seoul lose 2-0 before meeting Adi in Itaewon later in the night. Not a bad send-off! It might turn out to have been my last gig in Korea too, because finding a suitable drummer or getting the Muse cover band up and running is going to be tough to do before I leave at the start of August. Less than two months left in Korea... I can hardly get my head around that.

I was horribly ill Monday and Tuesday, which set me up nicely for my exam on Wednesday. I was so out of it that I sat the whole thing with my t-shirt inside-out, so I have no idea what kind of result to expect. It was a bit of a strange exam in that it really was about my overall progress with the dissertation. The question was about how my literature review had influenced my research questions, and how my methodology was going to go about addressing the research objectives. In a way, there's no tricking a question like that; either you know what you're talking about, or you don't. I guess I'll find out which category I fall under when the results come. It's nice to have it out of the way. I have to submit my 20,000 word dissertation at the end of August, and that could well spell the end of my formal schooling!

A few of us headed to Muuido last weekend because we had the Monday off for Memorial Day, so it seemed like a good idea to take advantage! Muuido was pleasantly surprising. It was much more beautiful than I had expected, it wasn't too busy, we got a nice simple little pension to sleep in, and it was generally a really good laugh. It was also a hell of a lot more sensible than previous weekends, which I REALLY needed. The tide there goes out by what must be a mile and you can walk right out in the clouds, which come rolling in towards evening. The ferry ride over is really, really short but it's something I always enjoy. Reminds me of childhood holidays in Co. Down way back in the day.

Talking of family holidays, it turns out that Dad can't get the time off work so we won't all be meeting in Barcelona in August, as had been hoped. I think I'm going to go over anyway because Rachel will be there and it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit. My summer schedule at work is pretty light (lots of four-day weekends), so I'm planning loads of trips, including to Jeju-do, which I have somehow never made it to in my time here. Mudfest? Maybe. Jisan? Yes! Looking forward to seeing The Music and The Arctic Monkeys especially. I think it was around this time last year that I popped my knee and saw all my summer plans fly out the window. I'm back playing football again (as badly as ever), so cross your fingers I don't experience a repeat!

My sister, Charlene, has had a bit of an epic time recently. She was out in Bucharest recently doing her first film role and she came back and straight into huge auditions with the National Theatre and The Abbey. Hopefully things are falling into place for her. Thomas and I did drama together as teenagers and we were talking about it a lot on Muuido, about those who chose to pursue it further in life and how they're all doing. You have to take your hat off to them because it's a life of uncertainty for most and a tough, tough job in so many ways. I think I'm glad I'm a teacher, but obviously it'd be nice to have those real rushes in life that performing brings from time to time. Ok, I'm rambling so going to sign of and go prep my kids' classes. Hope you're all doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment