Tuesday 28 September 2010

What a Kerfuffle!



I just came upstairs from preparing my lessons for the day and the general conversation among the other teachers is about our upcoming schedule. How could something so basic be so confusing? Well, believe me, it is. None of us now when each of our different classes end this session (new session starts October 25th), whether we're getting a week off in October or not, whether we invigilate exams, whether or not we WRITE the exams - we are pretty much clueless. It's not because we are are all numb-skulls (honest), but because we simply haven't been given any consistent answers. One person says one thing, the next person the opposite, others come up with some third unconnected possibility. It's tempting to be pissed off, but I'm going to try to see the funny side. We have meetings tomorrow and Thursday so hopefully all will become clear in due course. I had resigned myself to working the entire session, so if it turns out that I might get some unexpected time off, that can only be a good thing. I might even treat myself to a bit of a trip away somewhere, now that I'm not totally skint anymore.

I was back at physio today and, as usual, discussing the meaning of life with the nurse and telling her how normal it is for everyone to feel a bit down sometimes and not to worry. I'll really miss her! She got eyelid surgery and, as expected, it looks horrendous. I, of course, won't be telling her so. She seems happy enough and apparently her sister told her that she, "looks less ugly than before". Blunt enough?

It was a nice feeling being able to cycle over to the hospital and tie my bike up against the horrendous sculpture of a knee joint that I had hobbled or swung by on crutches for what seemed like an eternity not that long ago. The weather is glorious here these days and I doubt many people are appreciating being able to stroll/cycle around in it more than me. I only have two more session left then, hopefully, the doctor will give me the all clear and I can put it all behind me. I won't be in any hurry to start playing football again though. Sorry Traps...

Speaking of football, the latest offering from The Outside View (Korean football podcast) is available today. FC Seoul only managed a 1-1 draw away against Chunnam Dragons last weekend - amazingly, their first league draw of the season. Thankfully, Jeju only managed to draw against Pohang so we are still in decent shape as far as the league table is concerned. I'll be going to Sangam World Cup stadium for the first Sunday match in a long time against Incheon United. Annie will be back (not just for the FC Seoul game apparently...) so it's looking like a busy and, hopefully, fun weekend. I just got a mention on the podcast - nice one Matt! There's a chance Jim or I might have a chance to go on and talk about FC Seoul sometime in the future, which would be a cool experience.

Time is flying away from me today so I'm going to have to wrap this up for now. If you're in Korea right now, I hope you're having a chance to enjoy the weather (and not complaining that it's cold - this isn't cold!!!!). If you're elsewhere and I haven't spoken to you in a while, drop me a line. I try my best to keep on top of emailing and so on but... it seems to slip so easily. I hope everyone is in good form, wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. Well...with no Suwon game this weekend, we might come along to the Seoul game...if we do, we can interview you at the game. Just talk about Seoul's season...and your hopes and expectations and all that. It's provisional at the minute...James has the recorder...so we'd need him to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That one...yeah I know" lol

    Hey, you've really changed my perception of Korea. I had an idea in my head that they were all super organised. Stereotype I guess.

    ReplyDelete