Friday 20 August 2010

Back to Life

Nice to see a few people around campus this morning for their graduation. The Uni is a living, breathing organism (a word I embarrassingly misspelled throughout my first-year Science exam...) but it has been quiet all summer long. With the students coming back in a little over a week, things are returning to normal. Personally, I'll go from having vast swathes of free time to being really pretty busy. That's fine.

I just had my Korean language exchange, which was pretty tough today. I think because I've been studying quite a lot I got a bit ahead of myself. In reality, my level is still extremely basic and, as I'm constantly at pains to explain to my own students, learning a language requires a sustained effort over a prolonged period of time. Na Ra (my excellent Korean teacher) is off on holidays for four weeks but I'm still hoping to fit in a couple of lessons. I've decided that I'm going to keep them up even after my MA restarts. There's no point making progress over the summer only to let things drop again, as I have done before.

Anyway, I'm off to Itaewon now to meet Rob for dinner and then run over a few songs with Kevin, Zee and Patricia (whom I barely know) before the show tonight. I'm fairly hopeful there'll be a good number of people there and I think it's going to be a really enjoyable night. I had been feeling really guilty about pulling out of the Chillis gig tomorrow night and letting Cheon down so I text him earlier to cave in. Thankfully, he has found someone else but they're still pretty disappointed. I'm hoping I can meet them again and play a show somewhere else sometime. It might even be a good idea for the two bands (Cheon's band plus Jim, Jeff, Cheon and I) playing shows together until we can get a full set together. Ok I'm just thinking out loud here so I'm going to sign off. Have a great weekend everyone and if you're in Seoul tonight come along to Rocky Mountain Tavern for Kevin's big acoustic night.

No comments:

Post a Comment