Thursday 22 July 2010

Overcast

That's the word that sums up both the weather and my mood today. All week really. I'm doing my best not to feel sorry for myself with the knee situation but I'm not always as successful as I'd like. The official word remains the same. I have my next appointment on July 29th at which I'll find out if I can take off the splint and start physio or if I need to start preparing myself for surgery. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that surgery will be a pain, financially as well as physically and mentally. I am trying to be upbeat about it though. I was grumbling to myself whilst in Suyu last night running a few errands only to be passed by a group of cheery adults with much more severe physical disabilities than my silly little dodgy knee. The point wasn't lost on me.

I haven't blogged since Monday. I haven't been particularly busy or anything. I just think it's not the best idea to write too much when I'm not at my brightest. It has also been a very samey week in a lot of ways. My classes are going well and I'm enjoying them but there's nothing too noteworthy in that. I did stumble upon something interesting in my new class with the girls who work in the office here. That's a nice class because it allows me to get to know the Korean staff much better. I actually love teaching them. Anyway, the topic was 'friends or lovers?' based around the story of two friends (a male and a female) and the question arose as to whether or not men and women can really just be friends. Maybe it's not surprising among a group of six women in their early twenties, but they were insistent that men are incapable of being friends with women without other thoughts coming into it. I guess, if I'm honest, the number of my female friends who there has never been anything physical with (in mind or matter) is very, very small. It did surprise me a little that the girls in the class agreed with each other so vehemently. They mentioned at one point that maybe foreign men are capable of it, but not Korean men. That's probably a different debate altogether.

I mentioned that I had been reading 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel. Well, it has been great company for me in an otherwise fairly empty week (by my standards at least). I finished it last night. Although it dipped in terms of quality in the final section and took about 100 pages to really get going, it was still a very enjoyable and, at times, enthralling book. At one point I was so wrapped up in the narrative that when a mosquito buzzed past my ear I nearly jumped the height of myself. I really thought, for a moment, that I was in that lifeboat with a Bengal tiger snarling by the bow. Of course, it's an allegory, but the story stands up by itself and is well-written and thought-provoking. My edition has some 'reading group questions' that I'm mulling over at the minute. I would definitely recommend you read it. 'Believers' might enjoy it even more than I did.

Religion is a major theme throughout the book. For me, this often spoils a work because I feel as though there is an essential leap that I simply cannot take and so my appreciation will be lacking. As early as the seventh chapter, the central character, Pi Patel, chastises agnostics: "To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation". While I can't agree fully with that, agnosticism does strike me as a bit of a cop-out that I have been clinging to for a while now. It's a kind of covering of bases just in case one side isn't right, while still protecting yourself from the barbs associated with belief/non-belief. I am ready to admit that I am an atheist. I simply don't believe in the notion of a God or that there is any point to what we are doing as we mill around in our daily lives. In saying that, I would consider myself to be a humanist. It's still something I'm thinking about. I don't feel, at 28, that I'm ready to draw a line under the biggest of questions just yet.

Well that got a bit heavy didn't it? Thankfully I have music and sport to distract me from becoming too sullen. We had rehearsal on Wednesday night and again later on today. Some of the songs came almost effortlessly and sound really, really good. Others will take more time but I'm enjoying trying tougher things and working at it. They'll really feel like an achievement when they come. And they will come. As a group we're starting to build some momentum and we're getting on well as people which is probably even more important than how well we are playing the songs. Cheon is a top bloke and brilliant bassist. I feel as though I have known Jeff for ages already and I don't really need to say anything about my relationship with Jim. Ok I will anyway. He is one of my favourite people on the planet. I really honestly always feel privileged to be able to play with such talented musicians. I'm gagging for a gig... Jim leaves on Saturday for four weeks but it seems as though I'll be singing in a Red Hot Chili Peppers cover band with Cheon and some of his friends. That'll give me my music fix for the month.

FC Seoul crashed out of the FA Cup in mid-week with a 2-1 defeat away at Busan. Judging from the highlights, it was a game that was there for the taking had we been able to defend a couple of basic crosses in the air at the back. The ever-impressive Choi Hyo Jin scored the opener for Seoul. However, Busan clinched it with two headers late in the second half. Frustrating. I am thinking of going to watch them away on Saturday night. In Korea, all men (with some exceptions) must serve in the military (usually for 26 months). If you are a professional footballer, you do this by playing for Gwangju Sangmu FC. They aren't the most competitive team in the league, hardly surprising given that their panel is constantly changing from year to year. Unfortunately, in true Korean style, they aren't playing at home in Gwangju this weekend but in nearby Younggwang, which makes the trip down that bit less convenient. We'll see how the knee is in the morning and what Ji thinks on the matter.

I only have 40 minutes before my language exchange so I better get cracking. I probably won't write anything over the weekend so have a good one everyone. Make the most of it! If you feel like a giggle check this out. I've been meaning to post it since my friend Jessica showed it to me. I think it'll resonate for anyone who has ever been in a relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment