Wednesday 7 July 2010

Wiiiiiiiiii!!!!

Yeah so I never mentioned that I spent most of the day last Saturday playing Wii sports with Rob and Ji. That thing is such a good laugh and so addictive. It always makes me grin a little to myself when people talk about it as a healthy, active option. Let's face it, there isn't too much to it. I'm one of those annoying people who don't really move around so much and I'm still decently ok. I think people forget that they're not actually playing real tennis. It's just a game based on it. I'm pretty hard to beat on the old Wii tennis. I might stick that on my CV.

Class was great this morning. They're only a very small group but they're very dedicated. After all, they're giving up their summer vacation to take a non-accredited English course! I'm trying to keep it light but useful for them. I always have some little starter activity to review, then cover two pages of their textbook before an interactive reading/writing activity at the end. That invariably goes over my 50 minutes with them but no-one seems to mind. I'm thankful I only have that one class a day because my knee requires a lot of rest.

Ji got the wheels turning on claiming back what Seoul National University Hospital over-charged me when I went there last month. Apparently they thought I wasn't covered because my ARC (Alien Registration Card) number wasn't entered on their system properly. Shoddy. Either way I should have something reimbursed quite soon. The annoying thing is that the expense was what put me off getting the MRI sooner. I rarely complain about life in Korea but things like that, when you don't really know what you are/aren't entitled to, can grind. Mind you, I could be making more of an effort to learn the language and be able to figure these things out for myself.

I watched the Uruguay V Holland game earlier. Not too impressive for a World Cup semi-final. I guess the downside of all the early upsets is that the tournament may not contain as much quality during the latter stages than it might otherwise have. In saying that, Spain V Germany is a mouth-watering tie. I'll be going to sleep early so I can get up at 3am to watch that one. I don't know why I have turned a bit negative on the World Cup of late. I guess having a personal interest with the likes of South Korea and England (or even France and Italy with their ties to Ireland's non-qualification) have sapped me a bit. I'm hopeful tonight will live up to expectations. On form, surely it has to be Germany? On paper, Spain. They haven't scaled the heights as they did in the Euros two years ago, but you'd be a fool to rule them out.

The season has recently resumed for my beloved Derry City FC. At the halfway point of the campaign they are seven points clear at the top of the First Division and look set for an immediate return to the top flight after the disaster that was last season. I was delighted to see Mark Farren back and scoring in the 2-1 over Mervue in Terryland Park. However, it seems that the mid-season break has somewhat hampered their momentum. I hope they get back into their stride asap. Incidentally, if you know of a good Derry City FC or League of Ireland blog, please do let me know.

Nothing much else to say today. I'm at Ji's place now and she's making me some dinner, the star that she is. It was a pain getting here because it's too hot to be lugging yourself around on crutches. I also took two buses rather than a taxi because it's just too much bother getting in and out of back seats. I sound as though I'm whining, but I'm not really. I'm still hoping to maybe see some people this weekend and catch up with Jess and Steph next week. We arranged a rehearsal for next Tuesday night too. For a second there, we thought we might have lost Cheon. I definitely need to get my act together and show up well-prepared and on time. Especially the 'show up' part.

The dinner is getting close - my belly is rumbling! Let's hope for a great match tonight and I'll write more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,
    You have very good writing skill also.
    I hope you are getting well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance the Wii doesn't seem very impressive (poor graphics and so on). Its easy to dismiss it as a kid's console, which I guess it is. There's no denying that its fun though. I'm looking forward to trying out the Kinect sytem on xbox360.

    BTW, do you get email updates when people comment on your blog? I only ask because I commented on one of your original posts a while back, not sure if you've seen it. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about your knee :) I was just hoping for a nice hearty debate.

    ReplyDelete