Saturday 10 July 2010

Ummmmmm

I really don't have all that much to say today. I had a nice but terribly grown-up Friday night in last night with Ji. We ate, she beat me at Scrabble and we read and had an early night. That's life when you're nearly 28 folks, watch out! In fairness I doubt I'd be staying in if I didn't have this God forsaken splint on but we still had a nice time.

Another nice win for Derry City FC last night and the march goes on. I'm looking forward to watching the British F1 Grand Prix this weekend and, of course, the small matter of the FIFA World Cup Final between Holland and Spain. I just noticed that the mouthy know-it-all I work with drew Holland in the sweep. I'll be rooting for Spain solely on that basis. An Irish co-worker drew them so it's time for a bit of national solidarity I think.

It looks as though I will be having a language exchange with a former student who teaches Korean here starting this week perhaps. She is a really nice woman and, I suspect, a very good teacher so I'm looking forward to it. She is also very pleasant to teach so I'll be doing my best to help her as much as I can.

I finished 'Foe' last night. It's one of those very symbolic books that, although wonderfully clever, fail to excite. It was about the power of words and the authority of those who rule over them. It was a good read, but I doubt that it'll live long in my memory. I found Yann Martel's 'Life of Pi' in the teacher's office, which has been recommended to me countless times. I'm hopeful.

Having ruled out our proposed new band name on the grounds that it just split opinion too much, I thought of the idea of stealing a band name from 'The Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' because Jim and I both love the series. So, what do you think of 'Disaster Area'? It has already been done (by a Metallica tribute band, I believe) but I can't see that bothering anyone on the music circuit in Korea. Cheon text last night to say that he can't rehearse on Tuesday due to the illness of a family member. Jim, Jeff and I are going to meet up anyhow. I hope we aren't losing Cheon. If we do, it'll be 100% my fault... I also hope his family member is ok. I hope that goes without saying...

I can't explain how much I'd love to have a drink tonight. It's my birthday weekend for crying out loud! Rob and Thomas are in Suyu right now having Family Mart beers (cans outside a convenience store, yet another great aspect of living in Korea) and I'm going to join them with Ji soon. I meant to mention that our delivery food last night was 11,000 Won (about €7) for two main dishes, some mandu, side dishes, two portions of rice and delivery. Then they come and pick up the dirty dishes next morning! I took a few pictures to put up here but it'll have to wait. What could I buy for €7 in Ireland these days? Not very much, I'd say.

Anyway, it's the 3rd/4th place play-off tonight. Well, who cares...? I'll probably watch it anyway. I hope you're all having a nice weekend. Thank you, as always, for your comments both private and public.

No comments:

Post a Comment