Tuesday 29 June 2010

10 Years On...

First off - the article was printed today and sounds great! I can't find it online but I'll put up a link/copy when I find one. I called home earlier and my parents were well chuffed. I hadn't mentioned to them at all so my Dad just opened the paper routinely and got the shock of his life! OK, of his day at least... Laurence did a great job putting it together. It's so strange how things come back to you. I acted in a play he wrote a few years ago and now I guess he wrote this article in return. I often wonder what other things will come back from the past and give me something today, both good and bad.

Work has not been too tough at all this week even though we are in the second week of our 'intensive' course. It's six classes a day maximum and I have three great groups so it has been a pleasure teaching them so far, to be honest. The only thing that slightly bugs me about my job is what I have to endure during breaks in the office. I work with a lot of very nice people but, you know that every office has it's 'characters'...

Ji and I celebrated our one-year anniversary (of meeting/going out - virtually the same thing) over the weekend. She has been looking after me loads these days with my dodgy knee (more on that later) and made me a lovely anniversary dinner. I always feel a bit awkward when she does lots of things for me because I'm not accustomed to it at all. She got me a lovely Canon IXUS 105 Digital Camera, which I'm really happy about since I had my camera stolen last February (with a lovely jacket that I had had for barely more than 2 months). I gave her her flight itinerary for Ireland at Christmas and she was over the moon. I think she had a sneaking suspicion (I, like my father, just can't help giving away surprises) but she was just so giddy and excited it was cute. She was worried about barging in on our family Christmas but I assured her that I had already checked with everyone and they are fine with it. It'll be a first for our family to have a 'partner' with us for Christmas but it's something I think we're all really looking forward to.

Speaking of the knee, I was back at the hospital last Friday morning but am no further forward as far as knowing what is actually wrong is concerned. I had an obnoxious Korean-American wannabe doctor 'volunteering' and calling me 'Bro' at the end of every sentence, in spite of the fact that I made it very obvious that I didn't want to speak to him. The doctor reckoned there is no serious damage but recommended an MRI scan, which I opted against when I heard the price... There is much less swelling and pain now so I'm hoping that a week or two more in my temporary cast and I'll be OK. Here's hoping...

The World Cup is getting to the business-end of proceedings and I'm hating the fact that I'm missing one live game a night this week. No shocks in the last-16 so far I think it's fair to say. Holland now unbeaten in 23 games - how have they managed to sneak under the radar so much? Brazil did look very smooth and comfortable against Chile but, at this stage, it's impossible to call those matches. I was gutted at South Korea going out but Uruguay were simply more clinical and, for that reason, deserve their place in the quarter-finals. That looks a great match against Ghana and tough to call. Fairytale for Ghana you might say but they are a strong team and I wasn't at all surprised that they beat the USA, who had offered little up to that point in my opinion. I also must admit that I found USA fans a bit annoying after a certain point. Yes, the are a decent side. No, they are not yet a really top team. Yes, there were decisions that went against them. No, that is not uncommon in football and if you don't like it then maybe this isn't the sport for you. I was also mystified at Landon Donovan's tearful interview post-the Algeria victory in which he spoke of his 'difficult journey'. Am I the only one that found that a bit puke-inducing considering that their next opponents were to be Ghana? I'd say on or two of their squad have had it slightly tougher than you buddy.

Another convincing performance from Argentina but another silly goal leaked so the doubts linger... Was there another game? Oh, yes... What can be said about England? I was fearing the worst when Lampard's goal wasn't given. I could just imagine the amount of times we'd be hearing about that one. As it turned out it was pretty convincing and Germany must now be considered genuine contenders. Ozil looks brilliant and Klose, Podolski and Mueller all look so sharp up front. They have never gone more than 20 years without winning the World Cup. They last won it in 1990... England: too high expectations and unreasonable treatment from fans and the media led to panic among the players. Should they be able to handle it? Yes, probably. However, England fans need to remember that there are maybe 10-12 teams going into these competitions harbouring aspirations of taking the title. No-one has any divine right to do so...

One final paragraph to make patently clear my views on goal-line technology. Japan V Paraguay beckons so it'll be brief. Refereeing errors are a part of the game. As a result, football is sometimes 'unfair'. Life is sometimes 'unfair'. These errors add to the value of sport as a spectacle. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes against. If technology comes in, there may well STILL be mistakes. Besides, where does it stop? Replays for offsides? Penalty decisions? Free-kicks around the box? Any decision that may lead to a goal? I think there is now so much support for goal-line technology that it is inevitable that it will come sooner or later. I also think that'll be a sad day for the sport I love so much.

Derry City FC have been back in action recently following a short break. That, however, will have to wait. Japan V Paraguay - should be intriguing...

No comments:

Post a Comment