Wednesday 30 June 2010

Aaaand, that's a rap!

I just realised that I never made any reference whatsoever to the title of my blog yesterday. '10 Years On' referred to a message I got from my friend Aoife on facebook quoting something I wrote on the script of the play she wrote (and I acted in) ten years ago almost to the day!

"It wasn't a play, it was a whole new way of life. I've had such a ball all summer because of this and I love you totally - but it's not over yet - see you in August"

Cheesy, eh? Oh if I could talk to 17-year-old Brian now I would... probably tell him not to do anything too differently. I could have definitely treated people better, and cared less about what other people thought about me. That's about it, I guess.

I think that summer was one of the best of my life. I was just about to go away to University (in London) and had completed my Leaving Certificate. I don't look back on the past in the same way as a lot of other people I observe. I never really feel as though 'those were the days' because I still feel as though I have a lot in front of me. I have been lucky to have experienced a lot of things and long may that continue. Wow - I just realised that this sounds as though I have been diagnosed with a terminal illness or something!? I haven't...

I just taught my last lessons of the two-week intensive course I've been teaching. I was really lucky to have three enthusiastic groups and my homeroom made a lovely poster with messages from all of them. Thankfully I had prepared a 'thank-you' card for each of them in advance. I always want to leave them with a positive feeling toward English in the hope that they can take charge of their own development in future. In reality, there is only so much we can achieve with them during two- or three-week sessions. If they have a positive experience, have a chance to put past learning to practical use and increase their self-confidence in English then I think that constitutes a successful venture. Tomorrow morning they have their exam and final on-to-one interview. Then my schedule is very light for the next five weeks before three weeks off in August.

My knee is feeling a lot better now. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I hope to be back on my feet properly within a week or two. I haven't even totally ruled out the cycling trip I had been hoping to go on to Seonyudo Island the weekend after next. That might be asking a bit much but the pictures look amazing and I'm craving adventure these days.

Speaking of adventure, my sister Charlene is on the adventure of a lifetime these days. She's coming to the end of her course in acting at LAMDA. She has made a lot of sacrifices and put in an unbelievable amount of work to get to where she is right now. I'm crossing everything that this will act as a springboard for future success. If you happen to be in London you could do a lot worse than go and see her in, 'O Go My Man' at LAMDA, Baron's Court, on July 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th and 14th. I wish I could... All my sisters are doing so well, bless them. Rachel is God-knows-where traveling after a study year abroad in Australia. Emma is living in Cork and doing great. She lives with a girl from Seoul by pure coincidence. Melissa is a wonderfully talented singer and reeling in the prizes these days. More importantly, she is having the chance to sing in different styles and contexts. You can search for a video of her singing on the UpScenefacebook page .

I have rehearsal myself on Sunday again. I had to pull out last weekend because the journey to Hongdae was just too much to ask on crutches. I'm really looking forward to having a go at eight or nine songs properly. There's a good chance that we'll be playing at an outdoor rock festival in Gwangju at the end of August. It also looks as though I have a gig with Cheon (our bassist) as the singer in an all-Korean (aside from me, obviously...) Red Hot Chili Peppers cover band. That should be interesting... I'm really really up for a big summer of music. If I were American, I might even go as far as to say that I'm totally psyched! Do people actually say that...?

Meeting Ji for dinner in a bit, out with work tomorrow for lunch and drinks with Rob and Tom tomorrow night. A night of World Cup watching with Kevin et al on Saturday and band practice on Sunday. I feel as though I'm getting my life back at last. Cross your fingers that I don't push my knee too far and end up messing it up again... I'll leave you with a song that I've always thought would make an excellent cover (but have yet to convince anyone I've been in a band with).

No comments:

Post a Comment