Saturday 26 June 2010

Make Yer Mammy Happy

I just did the interview for the paper I wrote about in my last blog. Hopefully it'll be in the paper on Tuesday (I'll put up a link) but, until then, here are the questions and how I answered:

Where in Moville are you from? Pretty sure I could get there but I don't know the name.
I'm from Cooley - just around the corner from Cooley Cross.

Will we give your mother and father a wee mention by name, what are they called and all your sisters?
My parents are Paddy and Philomena. Sisters Charlene, Emma, Rachel and Melissa.

What school did you go to?
I went to St. Josephs Boys NS in Moville and Carndonagh Community School.
When did you move to Seoul?
I moved to Seoul in November 2006 after finishing my PGCE (teaching certificate) in Canterbury, England.

What was your first job? Did you travel there with friends or on your own?
My first job was in a small, family-owned, English language academy. I came here because my friend (Robert Mc Laughlin, from Inishfallon) was working in the country but he finished his contract just as I got here and didn't return for four months so I was pretty much on my own when I first came here.

Why did you decide to leave Moville?
I decided to move to South Korea to experience what it's like living and working in a totally different culture to our own.

Did you go straight to Seoul or travel around a little? What is Seoul like to live in? How's your Korean coming along?
I moved straight to Seoul and started working the very next morning after I arrived, jet-lag and all! Seoul is a great place to live in. It is so convenient, modern and there are so many things to do, day and night. Public transport is modern and affordable. There is also a lot of English on signs, etc. so it's never too hard to get around. The thing that is hardest to get used to is that there are so many people everywhere you go and you usually stick out because there aren't a lot of foreigners here, although that is rapidly changing. My Korean is only basic. It's a tough language and it's easy to survive without it so I know less than I should considering how long I have lived here now.

What do you miss most about Ireland?
I definitely miss family and friends but skype and facebook are a big help with that. I also keep a blog at www.brianthestrider.blogspot.com. I miss peace and quiet sometimes and the fresh air. It'd be nice to be able to go for a stroll along the green whenever I like but I'm sure it'll still be there when I get back.

Is there much World Cup fever going on out there at the minute? Are you getting to watch games?
There is a huge amount of World Cup fever here. Korean fans are passionate about the national team and tens of thousands watch their games on huge outdoor screens around the city. I have been confined to my apartment for most of the World Cup because I tore ligaments in my knee playing football recently. All the games are live on TV here and I also watch some streamed online with English commentary. As it's summer, my teaching schedule is pretty light so I have only missed a handful even though they're on at pretty unsociable hours here. The final will kick off at 3.30am on a Sunday night/Monday morning so that'll be a fun Monday at work...

Speaking of games how long are you going to be in plaster with the knee?
Yeah I'm in a full-leg cast and on crutches so I'm not the most mobile I've ever been these days.

Career

What is the name of the language school you work in? What is your job title now and what does it entail? I know you had a promotion a while back so give me a bit of background on your career progression since you've been there.
I am an English professor at Duksung Women's University but the job title is a bit of an over-statement. Basically I'm an English instructor mainly for first-year students taking a special English immersion course at our language centre. It's residential for them so a lot of work with their regular classes at University. We are encouraged to teach very active lessons with a variety of different teaching styles and focus on practical English conversation skills, rather than grammar, which they already have to learn a lot in Secondary School. I was Head Teacher at my last job before I moved to my University, which just involved training and observing new teachers as well as my own teaching schedule.

I mean any details you can think of throw them in like how many pupils are there? Are they mainly Koreans or international pupils etc? Many Irish people going out there to study Korean?
Korean students have a much tougher school-life than at home. They have a very long day and often study in after-school academies. There is a huge amount of pressure to get good exam results to get into a good University, which is really important in determining their future job prospects. Pupils are generally well-behaved. Teachers are quite well respected in Korean society.
Virtually all my students are Korean but my girlfriend works at an International School with children from all over the world. They are the sons and daughters of diplomats and so on. I occasionally work there as a substitute teacher and my longer-term goal is to work in an International School as a Social Studies/Politics teacher.
There aren't many Irish people here studying Korean, to my knowledge. However, there are a lot of Irish working here and the number is rising as things get tougher economically at home. There are (of course) Irish bars, an Irish festival for St. Patrick's Day and even a fairly large Gaelic Football Club!

Tell me about your average day - Is there an average day are you in the classroom planning lessons or have I got the completely wrong idea of what you do for a living?
My average day involves lesson planning and teaching. I live in the same building as where I teach. There are about 16 other foreign teachers in the teaching room from all over the World (Canada, USA, England, New Zealand, and even Cavan!). My actual teaching hours are generally quite low, around 3 or 4 hours a day. I also get about 12-14 weeks off a year so I have chances to travel. I have visited around 18 countries in the last 4 years or so.

Do you think you are there for life now? Or is it a temp work visa?
Most people think they are coming here for a year and wind up staying longer because it's a great place and a nice lifestyle. I'm in my third yearly contract (I lived in South America for a year since I first moved here) and I plan to stay for at least a couple more years. I wouldn't say I'm a 'lifer' but never say never. I'm currently nearing completion of my MA in Citizenship Education which I'm doing by distance learning with the University of London's Institute of Education. When I have completed that I'd like to start working in an International School and who knows where that could take me? I don't plan to settle down back home any time soon. There are too many places I haven't seen yet.

I suppose I should ask about the raised hostilities following the sinking of the war ship - Did it seem like there was going to be a war?
It's not unusual for hostilities with North Korea to be in the news but the recent sinking of the Cheonnan was definitely different. Generally South Koreans don't seem too concerned about the North or worried about war but that wasn't the case when this happened. It's also the first time I've heard fellow foreigners talking about how they would leave if war broke out. For my part, I think (or hope) that prospect is highly unlikely. If it did happen, I don't think I'd find it easy to just leave somewhere I have called home for most of the past four years, when they would probably be in greatest need.

How did you react to that? Was yer Ma worried?
I don't think my parents were too worried. I think they trust me to look out for myself but, to be honest, I didn't really talk to them about it.

Band

Well in your own words I suppose how did it come about?
I have always played in bands for fun so I was keen to do the same here. I spent a lot of time meeting other musicians when I first came here and was lucky enough to get something together fairly soon after I arrived. There is a thriving live music scene here among foreigners living in Seoul. The internet really helped me connect with other people who had just arrived and wanted to do the same. Our first line-up included three Irish members (from Belfast and Limerick) and one from the North of England.

Are youse touring cos a little look at some of the photographs shows you playing to big crowds? Whats the biggest gig you've played?
We mainly play in live music bars and clubs around Seoul but we have also frequently played in other cities around the country. We are hoping to play at two outdoor rock festivals this summer. We released a CD earlier this year (songs at www.myspace.com/youareseoul) and had a really big turnout at our CD release party. We usually attract big numbers of both foreigners and Koreans because we play music that everyone knows and we have been going for more than three years now.
The line-up changes from time to time as different members come and go. In fact, we had to start a new band from scratch recently with two former members leaving. That had been our most stable line-up since we started so it was pretty sad finishing up. Now I sing with the original drummer from my first band, a Canadian guitarist and Korean bassist. Usually we rehearse once a week and gig 4-6 times a month although it really depends on our different schedules. It's a brilliant pastime and something I hope I'm always able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment