Thursday 10 June 2010

Everything cancelled for ONE MONTH!

Well, it's here. It has been a long time in coming but when I woke up this morning the first thing I thought about was the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, starting tonight. For my part I'll be joining friends for a birthday party, soccer team fundraiser and the opening game at a Canadian bar in Itaewon. South Africa V Mexico I fear won't go in favour of the host nation but if they manage to clinch a draw, it would certainly get the nation behind them and make for an appetising start to the competition. Mexico are always dangerous at the World Cup and boast some promising players in the likes of Vela, dos Santos and Marquez. On paper, they look much more dangerous than South Africa but THIS IS THE WORLD CUP! Also, the South Africans have a player called Tshabalala so that gets extra points. I'm looking forward to seeing how Steven Pienaar responds to the pressure of being his nation's top man, with Benni Mc Carthy surprisingly not chosen for the final squad.

Anyway, that's just the opener. Who is going to go on and win the whole thing? Let's be brave, shall we? First off, 'Time' selected seven teams who they felt could go on and win the whole thing: Brazil, Spain, Italy, Argentina, England, Holland and.... the United States... Spot the US publication and the, quite frankly, shocking bias. Of course the USA have a chance, like the other 31 participants, but to leave out the likes of Germany and France in favour of a team that scored just once in the 2006 competition is laughable. They also selected Clint Dempsey as one of only seven players to watch, with the likes of C. Ronaldo, Messi, Maicon, Rooney, Eto'o and Casillas. Exalted company indeed.

For my part the answer is different depending on whether you ask my head or my heart. I spent a very memorable and enjoyable time traveling in South America, including a stint teaching English in Argentina in 2008. The Argentines have passion and confidence that certainly rubbed off on me. I watched them struggle to a 1-1 draw with Ecuador during the qualifiers but the talent on show was formidable: Veron, Riquelme, Messi, Tevez, Heinze, etc. There is no doubt in my mind that they have the talent at their disposal to win the tournament for their first Would Cup since 1986 (the third in their history). The question marks surround their national hero and former World Cup winner, Diego Maradona, and his skills as manager. During the qualifiers (although he took over towards the end) he didn't seem at all sure of who his best players were, made huge tactical errors and received a FIFA ban from football-related activities for a foul-mouthed tirade against the media after his side qualified narrowly with a 1-0 win away at double-World Cup winners Uruguay. To call him a colourful character would be the under-statement of the century. Will passion alone drive his gloriously talented players to victory? Or will his tactical ineptitude and bizzarre World Cup selections (Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors is 36-years-old and playing in his first World Cup) result in yet another damp disappointment.

Failure for Argentina could be good for my adopted home, South Korea. We're in a group with the Argentines, Greece and Nigeria. On paper, it looks like a group that we could get out of. Greece are effective and won the European Championship based on that alone in 2004. Nigeria have talented players in the likes of Martins but have (like other African teams, unfortunately) suffered upheaval behind the scenes and former Swedish boss, Lars Lagerback, has a big task on his hands. Players such as Park Ji Sung, Park Chu Young, Ki Seung Young and Lee Chong Young have been performing well at top leagues and Lee Dong Gook was top-scorer in the K-League last season and might be feeling more confident in his ability than he has for a long time. The World Cup isn't about being rational and I certainly won't hold back when I'm cheering on the Red Devils against Greece on Saturday. Of course, I'm not suggesting that South Korea will win or come near their 4th place finish in 2002.

Ask my head who will win and it has to be.... Brazil. It's a boring answer and I hate myself for it but they just seem so efficient well-organised, led by a national legend in Dunga and with a whole lot of talent in Kaka, Robinho, Maicon and others. I don't think they will hammer anyone (North Korea in the group stages won't give much away and Portugal and Ivory Coast will both fancy their chances of qualifying out of the group) but I think they'll be too much for anything anyone else has in the locker.

My girlfriend is waiting on me to go for lunch and visit the Leeum Museum of Art before we go to watch a friend appearing in the 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee later on. I have A LOT more to say on the World Cup. I haven't even mentioned Spain (the favourites), France (Ireland's favourite), Italy (reigning Champions) or England....

No comments:

Post a Comment