Wednesday 16 June 2010

Quarter-way there...

Amazingly we're almost ready to go into the second round of group games and we're already a quarter of the way through the entire tournament. Lot's of people are expressing disappointment about the quality of football so far. I think that's missing the point. New Zealand grabbed an improbable point, South Africa got the nation behind them with a draw in the opening match and North Korea charmed the world (not often you read that sentence) with a battling at, at times, skillful performance against Brazil. Germany looked very dangerous (albeit against Australia who are hardly World-beaters) and Argentina and Brazil showed promise. And what about Switzerland's tactical master-class in overcoming pre-tournament favourites Spain! In my humble opinion, it has been an enthralling start to the World's most popular sporting event. I hope the South Africans can provide some entertainment for us tonight but Uruguay will be tough to beat and very dangerous with Forlan and Suarez up front. I fancy them to drown out those deafening vuvuzelas with a narrow 1-0 victory. I would love to be wrong...

Away from the World Cup (yes, there are other things going on), I visited The War Memorial of Korea yesterday which is nestled between Noksapyeong and Samgakji stations on line 6. It wasn't my first visit but the place is massive and I still need to go back to properly experience the Korean War Rooms. It's an impressive museum with a large display of military vehicles and equipment in the forecourt. However, I'd have liked to have seen more of a focus on peace-building and military co-operation. It was very focused on Korean national pride and instilling espirit de corps. It wasn't surprising to see so many Korean military personnel looking around, presumably as part of their compulsory military service. I was there for two hours but I'd recommend spending a full day there to really soak everything in. Declassified documents from MacArthur and Truman in 1950 make for particularly interesting reading as do early UN Security Council resolutions hoping to deal with North Korean aggression nearly 60 years ago. Perhaps a reminder to many here of how international institutions would become involved in the event of (further) North Korean military aggression today. If you do go, try to go with a Korean. My girlfriend was really obviously affected by images of life during the Korean War from 1950-53 and that gave the visit more gravitas for me too.

Being off work this week is giving me plenty of opportunities to do things I can't normally get around to. Hollywoods Bar & Grill (mentioned in an earlier blog) offer a steak dinner on Tuesday nights for only 13,500 Won (a little under €9). The food there has improved significantly since a guy called Matt is took over and my steak, baked potato and veg were beautiful and good value at twice the price. It's also my bar of choice for World Cup watching with screens of various sizes dotted around. I watched the first half of New Zealand V Slovakia (final-score: 1-1) there before switching to Sam Ryan's in search of more Kiwis and a better atmosphere, without success. Also crossed paths with my girlfriend's ex and we all love it when things like that happen.

I had quite a few beers in me for Brazil V North Korea and REALLY got into it. What a great story. Have a look at North Korea's star striker Jong Tae Se. Wonderful stuff. Portugal and Ivory Coast should take note but I read with interest that Carlos Queiroz still all but wrote them off as a serious threat while talking about his side's lack-lustre 0-0 draw with Ivory Coast. I'd love to find out how the South Korean players are reacting to their North Korean counterparts. With a great deal of interest so far, that's for sure. What odds on a match up between two countries still technically at war...?

I was playing a bit of football myself today at the invitation of my friend Thomas at his workplace near where I work and live. I have been itching for a kick about for so long and REALLY loved it. I hardly covered myself in glory but didn't embarrass myself either. I even scored one in our 4-1 win. Managed to waste a good half-dozen decent openings though... The game didn't end too well for me with a bad twist of my knee forcing me to withdraw. It's swelling up here and I can barely walk on it. Maybe a trip to the hospital for me tomorrow. Knowing me, I'll only go if it turns blue and starts withering up... I'm sure it'll be grand in the morning... It would appear that my plans for the rest of the week might have to be shelved though. I had been hoping to go to Gwacheon and visit to zoo tomorrow with my better half before watching South Korea V Argentina at one of the outdoor big screens dotted around the city for these occasions. At this rate, it looks as though I might be on crutches! I have never witnessed a Korea game outdoors and I expect tat the atmosphere would be amazing so I really hope I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment