Friday 18 June 2010

Boring World Cup? Really?

Wow it has been brilliant. Definitely the silver lining to my crocked knee which is still limiting me to watching all the games at home. I might even miss my friend Yeodi's wedding tomorrow but I'm going to cross my fingers that I wake up fighting fit. Going to weddings on a fairly regular basis is a pretty sure sign that you're no spring chicken any longer, but there's life in this old dog yet (just as soon soon as my knee heals up). I even got called 'Grandpa' by a cheeky co-worker earlier tonight. Why I ought ta...

Amazing football, brilliant World Cup. No more complaining out of any of you please! France were just shocking last night and I have no idea what Domenech was up to. No Henry at any stage? Gourcoff not chosen because others players don't like him - can that really be true? Anelka off at half time for Gignac who seemed to play as a winger with no clear all-out striker? It just goes to show how Ireland had a great opportunity to take their place in South Africa. Hand ball or no, we shouldn't have lost at home and should have taken our chances in Paris. Oh what could have been...?

Another big shock with Serbia overcoming the Germans. Horrible refereeing with all those yellow cards and a soft red for Klose. No golden boot for him this time I'd say. Don't referees realise how big this tournament is? It was far from a dirty game but he was carding everything in that first half. Germany back down to Earth with a bump after their sensational opening win against Australia. Hopefully people will stop trying to draw judgements from one or two games now. Argentina were flying high in 2006 before going out with a whimper against Germany in the last eight. Who says the best team wins? Were Denmark the best team in Europe in 1992? Greece in 2004? If the upsets have taught us anything, it has surely taught us that these teams are closely matched and it's nigh-on impossible to predict them. See Slovenia 2 USA 2 - the best game of the tournament so far.

Having said that, I'm going to refrain from making a prediction for England V Algeria. Seconds from kick-off. Please, please don't make me go back to work on Monday. Thank heavens Derry City and FC Seoul will feed my football addiction after July 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment