Monday 21 February 2011

Bump!



It had been a great night because I went to Haebangcheon to see Zee at The Local, to be closely followed by Sticky Fingers unplugged at The Orange Tree. Zee's gig was so nice and intimate. I thought she was pretty good before this night; now I'm blown away. Just her and her guitar, so pure, raw, and right there in front of us. Banter between songs because the place was so small she could just chat away to all of us. Jeff's band just after were equally enjoyable. Seeing musicians stripped down (easy!) and hearing vocalists clearly - it was a great night. So much talent in this city.

We were all out on Saturday night for Catherine and Stephen's birthday at Shamrock n' Roll. It was a good fun night all round. Those two got fairly well on, as one must on your birthday! I headed home early enough (still the wee hours) because I had rehearsal the next day with Cheon's band at the ungodly hour of 2pm on a Sunday! It was a cool rehearsal because it was them playing their original stuff and me finding melodies for it: kind of what I have always wanted. Cheon has sent me the files so I'll spend the next few weeks working on melodies and lyrics, before we attempt to get something recorded. We're also going to tease the Muse cover thing out a bit more; maybe with a Muse-only cover gig once a month or something. They are fun guys to play with.

I'll be meeting Cheon, Jeff and Jim tomorrow night for Dead End Friends' rehearsal in lieu of our gigs this Friday and Saturday in Bucheon and Hongdae. They'll be our first shows since January 15th (in Gwangju) for one reason or another, but we're hoping to play three out of the four weekends in March, including a couple of shows for the St. Patrick's Day celebrations here. Lots to look forward to! My big aim for the next month or so is to get our name out there a bit more. Might start spreading a rumour about one of the lads for a bit of publicity...

I'm off to immigration tomorrow for my visa extension. Six more months at Duksung, at least. Still mulling over Cairo. Indonesia not completely ruled out. Interview coming up for an international school in China (I'm not 100% clear where in China exactly!). I still really like Duksung and my classes here but I still also feel as though I'm stagnating and could do with a change and a better level of teaching. If no suitable international school jobs come through, I'm going to have a look at a few Citizenship jobs back in England. I've been reading some Council of Europe recommendations for citizenship education these days and I'd love to be putting it all into practice.

I highly recommend downloading The Daily Bacon podcast from bbc radio 5live today, if only for his interview with a catty Ruby Wax. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy her cutting him down for his smugness and lazy research, but she also highlights the problems associated with depression and the attached stigma in a forthright and honest way, which actually bordered on blunt. Like her or not, she makes some brilliant points about a condition that affects 1 in 4 people in Britain directly, yet is barely talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment