Tuesday 8 February 2011

How Does This Happen?

It's coming up on 1am and this day has just flown by. I had a fun class this morning with EunHee and ChaeYoung. The conversations I have with those two go places those with few others dare! This morning it was monogamy, the rule of threes, choosing your life partner, regrets, friendship between men and women... Any language teacher is happy when their students aren't backward about coming forward: that might be why these two are probably my favourite...

From there it was a whole load of report writing for my kids' classes, which was actually a pleasure because it gave me an opportunity to give a lot of credit where it's due. I hadn't taught kids before at Duksung, and I really enjoyed it this time around. Bright, enthusiastic, and refreshingly smart-arsed; I hope I'm as lucky with my next two groups.

Cram some ramen down my throat and it was off to see Bomin and Junu for their first class of my second month teaching them. They are great wee kids but it's hard for me to keep their attention for over an hour and I sometimes have to resort to just clowning around and acting the eejit to keep them on track. They are so young and have insanely busy schedules (Bomin has school, after-school academy, piano, violin, ballet, and English), so I know how important it is for them just to be kids sometimes.

An hour on the phone with Ji (who just bought me an FC Seoul season ticket); dinner in Suyu with Milan Kundera; a natter with Catherine about level tests, life, love, and card shuffling techniques; an application to International School of Myanmar (in keeping with the theme); finding some reading material for my dissertation; and my day is almost done. I wonder what creative ways I'm going to conjure to avoid working on my dissertation tomorrow? That's the spirit!

1 comment:

  1. Myanmar, Cairo, have you tried Pyongyang yet lol.

    ReplyDelete