Monday 7 February 2011

Happy New New Year

Hey all. I got back from Shanghai yesterday, tired and satisfied after a great trip. Shanghai is a fantastic city, very cosmopolitan in a lot of ways, but clearly constrained in others. My pictures are now up on facebook, and I'm sure I'll get around to talking about what we did there at some point.

Today I'm just getting back into the swing of things, trying to get as much MA work done this week as I can, applying for more jobs (will it ever end?), and so on and so forth. I have an interview coming up with Mt Zaagkam International School in Papua, Indonesia. It's for an ESL position, is in a VERY remote area, and there has been some recent 'unease' with tribal groups in the area. All in all, it's not what I had set out for, but I'll give the interview my all and see what comes of it. Cairo English School are currently contacting my referees, and the school is closed due to the political situation in the area. At this rate, I'm expecting a job offer from Baghdad any second now.

Sad, sad news that Gary Moore died yesterday in a hotel room in Spain, aged 58. A Belfast native, he was one of a rare breed in that he was successful in a variety of roles and over a prolonged period of time. Although he is best known as a guitarist, he was a great songwriter and VERY under-rated singer. I'm obviously a big Phil Lynott fan, but I think it's fair to say that the great man was outshone to an extent in this collaboration with Moore:



RIP Gary Moore... I actually heard this song today as a tribute on BBC Radio 6 music, which I've started listening to a lot more of late, and wow it is great! Such a great range of rock music, and a good way to hear some new material, which I have been neglecting now for a few... years... I discovered a few new (to me) bands from an article in 'Time' including Queen Sea Big Shark, from Beijing, who really impressed me. Their music, lyrics and style are pretty daring in China; I hope they make it to Korea sometime soon. My lunar new year's resolution? Go see more live Korean bands. My earlier resolutions are going so well and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment