Thursday 13 January 2011

Casting The Net

Hey all. I took your various comments into account (thanks!), got my application together, and emailed Chadwick International yesterday. I'm not expecting to hear anything back from them (I'd imagine most schools will hire staff at the various conferences then see where they're at), but I am hopeful. And, I guess, that hope will grow with the number of schools I chance my arm with. That's why today I applied to five more schools, in: Dubai; Paraguay; Germany; Egypt; and Qatar. It takes a fair while to do a bit of research and tailor the application to the school, but I'm hoping to get another half-dozen out tomorrow and hope that something bites soon.

The more I research International Schools, the more I think of staying where I am for another 18 months+, the more research I do for my dissertation, the greater and more pressing my desire is to get something sorted as soon as possible. I'm sure I would really miss Korea if I left, and all the major ties I have here, but the way I'm thinking these days, I am kind of relishing the thought (at least) of just going somewhere completely new and seeing how it works out. Like I've said, the unfolding of events over the coming weeks and months will probably make the decision for me.

On the music side of things, we're off to Gwangju this weekend to play at the fifth birthday celebration of one of our favorite bars, Speakeasy. I'm really looking forward to it because, not only is it a great wee bar and always a busy night, there are a good few of us going down from Seoul together. We have a bit of a routine from Gwangju from over the years: same way down (good old KTX), pop into the bar to say hi, over to the same hostel, galbi in the same restaurant, back to the the bar to get things started, and keeping it going into the wee hours. Our buddy Richard text me tonight saying he has been hearing good things about us, which was a nice wee boost at the right time. I also got an email tonight from a fellow Seoul musician about a night he's putting together asking me if I'd sing a few numbers. On top of that, Cheon's other band are covering Muse in Hongdae in a couple of weeks with me at the mic. So it's a busy period coming up but with lot's of different things going on, which is just what I need.

Continuing my recent unhealthy interest in great-but-dead lead singers, I was doing a bit of reading and youtube surfing on Thin Lizzy front-man, Phil Lynott, earlier tonight. Yet another musician who died early (at 36) and left behind haunting videos of his final interviews and this, his final TV appearance. Just over 25-years ago. He really was brilliant... Some great haircuts on here too. Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. test..

    I might change my account here, typepad is giving me grief.

    And here I always thought Thin Lizy was just some cheap make-up brand. Learning.

    ReplyDelete