Friday 28 January 2011

First Offer!

Amazingly, I woke up to an email offering me the primary esl job at Cairo English School, which I interviewed for last night. Although it wasn't a bad interview, I really wasn't expecting to hear anything positive back from them. The upshot of it all is that I have to seriously consider whether I should take a job that involves moving into the unknown in almost every way, or turning it down on the absolute off-chance that something more suited to what I had been hoping for, shows up. It's a tricky one, it really is.

All the same, it's encouraging that I had a successful interview, and positive that I at least now have a choice. There is a lot to think of in terms of Ji, my career, leaving Korea, the band, the 'bother' in Egypt, moving to primary education and, of course, CATHERINE! Rob - I'll be calling your Dad if you reckon that's ok with him. Smart people out there, I want to hear your pearls of wisdom. No need to tell me that it's the largest and most densely populated city in Africa - I'd be lost without you, Lisa!

We finished up the first session of DDE1 this morning with their exam, final interview, and class party. Although I've been here nearly a year, the final day is always odd and difficult to explain to those who don't work here. Mass hysteria, screaming girls, picture request after picture request, and a bunch of very ordinary, but uncomfortable, foreign teachers. I really do enjoy this job, though. There are annoying aspects (well, one - aspect), but we have a lot of freedom and the students are consistently great. My homeroom made a little poster and cake for me as a surprise. I walked in on them as they were preparing it, so had to pull out the old acting skills later. Still got it! Or not... Oh, decisions...

Going to meet a few of the other teachers to mark the end of the session with a beer or two in Suyu. For those of you who are in Korea, our Muse tribute is at Club Spot (Hongdae, the wee park thingy) at 9pm. Judging by the rehearsals, I think it should be quite good! Wherever you are, I hope you're doing well and have a great weekend.

PS Come on Murray!

No comments:

Post a Comment