Thursday 27 January 2011

First Interview...

...went ok. It was a skype video call with a the primary head at Cairo English School and one of her colleagues. Some of the questions I handled well, others I thought of a million things I should have said, the moment the call ended. What it boils down to, though, is that it's just not the job for me. I'm not a primary school teacher and my formal training isn't in ESL. And it showed. They're getting back to me in a couple of days, but I'd be amazed if they offered me something. Initially I was a bit knocked back by the realisation (again) of how difficult it will be to make the step from ESL teacher at a Uni in Korea to Social Studies teacher at an international school. I must admit that I'm still feeling a bit defeatist about it all, but I'll keep plugging away. As soon as DDE is done for this session (tomorrow), I'll sit down and figure out what I could be doing better, have a re-think and start popping those applications out again. Worst case scenario, I stay on where I am for a bit longer than I'd like. Actually, that isn't the worst case scenario, but let's pretend it is.

Being deflated won't change the situation, aside from making things worse, so I'm going to wake up tomorrow thinking about closing out a nice DDE1 program, go pick up my visa for China next week, meet the other teachers for a few 'end-of-session' drinks, and make sure my throat is right for the Muse cover gig with Cheon's band in Hongdae (Saturday at 9pm). The rehearsals this week were great and I am determined it's going to be a fun show.

Thanks for recent comments, emails, and words of wisdom. Happy birthday Rob, Jim, Lisa and Emma these days - it certainly is the season. Craig - not obsessed with 'Time', realise it's limitations, just like reading a hard copy of something from time to time and Ji has a subscription. As for Ji, well, we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. If any of the rest of you out there have any top tips for how to do what you want to do with your life, feel free to share. I bet this woman could sort me out...

No comments:

Post a Comment