Monday 10 January 2011

Job Please!

Hey all. Hope you had a good weekend. I had loads of thoughts pop into my head all weekend long about little things I'd like to blog about. Low and behold, I have veered back into the sensible lane of life earlier in the week than usual this Monday, so I'm going to blog about something else entirely. I can sum the weekend up by saying that it was a case of: Friday being messy and random; Saturday being fun and sociable; and Sunday being lazy and restful. That'll do.

I have been freaking out today about getting my CV, cover letter and teaching philosophy into shape so that I can get down to applying for International School jobs this week. Top of my list is Chadwick International in Songdo, Incheon. It looks like an amazing school and fits my teaching philosophy and ideals nicely. I got my CV up to date and looking the way I want it to without much bother, but my cover letter has been a different story. It's so hard trying to only include the most pertinent information without squeezing it in to such an extent that it's impossible to tell one point from the other, or give it any natural flow. Here's how it is at the moment, before I sleep on it and come back for another bite in the morning. Maybe you could drop my a wee private message with some pointers, if you see something obvious? If not, normal non-job-application-related-blogging resumes tomorrow.

I would like to apply for the position of Middle-School Social Studies teacher (commencing in August this year). Having completed a Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate in Education (Citizenship) at Canterbury Christ Church University, Kent, England, in 2006, I am a fully-qualified teacher. I am also currently completing the dissertation for my MA in Citizenship Education, due for submission in early August, 2011. Additionally, I have been working as a teacher in Korea and elsewhere since 2006.

At present, I am an English language professor at Duksung Women’s University in Seoul. This job provides ample opportunity to adopt creative teaching techniques and act as a facilitator developing the long-term language development of my students. Many of the classes are project-based and, because of my educational background and commitment to the promotion of human rights in education, they are geared at developing relationships between staff and students that are harmonious and mutually-respectful.

My heart has always been in secondary-level education and, having completed my MA and broadened my horizons and skills-base as an English language instructor, I am keen to continue my long-term teaching career in an International School.

Chadwick International has been of particular interest to me since I first read about it in the Korean press in mid-2010. Although the technology and facilities in general are hugely impressive, what really caught my eye was the commitment to creative and innovative teaching styles. The school also aspires to provide the IBDP, which is the focus of my MA dissertation. I see myself as a global citizen whose teaching style is underpinned by a commitment to human rights and respecting the individual needs of each pupil and member of staff. In Chadwick International, it appears that I have found a school that does the same, and more. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to have my application considered, and discuss these issues in greater depth at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely,

1 comment:

  1. FYI, the Civic Mirror's birth-place was at Seoul International School in Beokjeong. Could add that to your pitch along with your civic education bit. Great kids, outstanding compensation package. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete