Monday 31 January 2011

None The Wiser

Hey all, hope the weekend treated you well and that the week hasn't started too badly. As Egypt continues to erupt, I'm still mulling over the possibility of moving to Cairo as a Primary school ESL teacher in August. One minute I'm sure I'm not, the next I'm sue I am. Some people have come straight out and said I'd be mad to (thanks for your forthright honesty as always Mary) and others have said I should go for it (although I can't quite remember who right now, and could well just have convinced myself someone did...). I'm keeping a close eye on the news, but the stumbling blocks in my mind lay elsewhere. I think I need to STOP thinking about it for a few days. I'm sure all our thoughts are with the people of Egypt in their struggle to overthrow Mubarak, or at least affect change in their country. It was interesting hearing Tony Blair talking of, "change, not chaos" in the country. He was fairly honest in admitting that 'the West' overlooked Mubarak's 'excesses' in return for his support of the Middle-Eastern peace process. Interesting how statesmen can do that once they have left national politics and moved to non-elected roles. Bill Clinton springs to mind in the same vein.

Moving seamlessly from international politics to... my weekend. I had my first show with 'Posh' (Cheon's band name....) on Saturday night at Club Spot in Hongdae. It went really well, to be honest. A few people took videos so I'll try to recover them and put them up on facebook. It was strange playing in a club to an almost 100% Korean audience. Mel came along and there were two random foreign rock-chicks up the front, but that was it. A Korean crowd really WATCH bands here - it was eerily quiet between songs but they were all going nuts as soon as the music started. There wasn't much I could do to break the silence with my crappy Korean so it was left to Mel to cheer us all up with her cricket impressions. Anyway, Cheon asked me to join them on a more permanent basis, if I could. So, as long as it doesn't clash with 'Dead End Friends', I'll be singing with them as they try to put together an album of original tracks (Cheon sang a couple on the night) and play gigs around Hongdae and Gangnam. I think it'll be an interesting experience, so I'm up for it.

No work today so I tried to get a good bit of dissertation work done and applied to another batch of international schools. Word back already from a school in Kazakhstan (I only do glamorous) and I even applied for a Citizenship job back in the UK, such is my complete and utter indecision and lack of focus. Ji and I are heading off to Shanghai for Lunar New Year on Wednesday morning so I'm going to come back 100% set on one particular course and just go all out for that! Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment